Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Fri!

To Sara. In honor of your LAST twenty-something birthday, a little birthday story for you, my best friend.

When Brown-eyes moved to San Angelo, she was not sure what to expect. New town, new house, new school... who would she talk to? Would she make any friends? It didn't take long to find out that answer. A pretty girl with green eyes and a big smile invited her to her birthday slumber party just two weeks away. Turned out Green-eyes lived one street over, right down the alley from Brown-eyes. The party was a blast. They fed the dog ice cream til he puked and giggled at a friend who tooted in her sleep. A lifelong friendship was born.

Over the next few years, Green-eyes and Brown-eyes were inseparable. They lived at each others' houses, each had 2 moms, played closet-Barbies in the garage with the door closed, made clothes for those barbies using hot loops, wore each others clothes. Teachers got them confused, some called them both by both their names run together. They got each other Best Friend necklaces that both wore for years. When the heart charm was broken apart, one side said "Be Fri" and the other said "st end." From that moment forth, the girls were Be Fri's. They created their own language, made up ridiculously dramatic motions to every song on the radio, played MASH until they got the results they wanted, and walked to school together every day.

When high school came, the girls interests led them in different directions, but they still remained close. They learned to drive together (and got pulled over with firearms in the car together), did homework together, made fun of silly teachers together. They were there the year Central finally beat Permian, and drove around the stadium parking lot 57 times playing the school fight song on Brown-eyes' musical car horn. They graduated together, and spent a crazy summer and freshman year together - even getting matching "artwork" together.

But slowly, life drew the friends apart. Green-eyes went away to Tech to pursue a medical career, graduating with a Doctorate of Pharmacy. Brown-eyes stayed in San Angelo to finish college, ending up teaching at their old junior high. But no matter how far apart they are, or how different their lives have become, whenever they get together or even talk on the phone, it's like they've never been apart.

Some friends are put in your path for a specific time and purpose. Some are for life. You and I, my dear Fri, are lifers. I love you much, miss you terribly, and wish you all the best in your new venture.

2 comments:

Diane said...

This is such a sweet sentiment from one Fri to another Fri! Brings back many great memories for this "one of 2 moms". I, too, remember when Green-eyes invited the "new girl" to her birthday party and made Brown-eyes a very happy little girl!

Sara, if you are reading this...Happy Birthday...I love you...from your second mom!

rxchica19 said...

Fri!
I finally realized I could leave a comment. You made me cry. I am so blessed to have a friend like you. A friend who knows that we dont have to talk everyday, but knows that I love her everyday. I took a chance on the new kid, and received a best friend for life. What a great birthday gift!
Love
Sara