Thursday, July 30, 2009

And the Lord will grant the desires of your heart...

Several things over the last year or so have made it very clear to me that God is in control of my life, not me. And while I still don't understand the "why" on a lot of things, I'm learning to accept and trust in His understanding. I'm reading through Proverbs (Lord knows I could use a little wisdom) in my study Bible, and this little side note stuck out to me. I will do well to remember:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

"Unfulfilled longings are familiar to every woman. Sometimes when a woman must wait for her deepest hopes to be realized she can become heartsick, despondent, even desperate. Consider Rachel, whose longing to have children not only caused her to feel like she would die from the pain of waiting, but also led her to take matters into her own hands in order to get what she wanted (Gen 30: 1-5). In a woman's quest for relief from disappointment, she can be tempted to manipulate and demand that her desires be satisfied according to her timetable. Or she can suppress her dreams and desires and settle for much less than God has planned. Either way, she loses. How much better off a woman will be when she trusts God to fulfill her dreams, when she waits on him instead of manipulating or giving up. Only He sees the whole picture, and only He has the power to fulfill her heart's desires (Gen 30:22-23)."

I have lately been praying not so much that God would grant my desires, but that He would shape my desires to match His own plans for me. While I will admit I am not quite whole-hearted in my prayer (it's just so hard to let got of control!), I feel He truly IS changing my mind-set. And that is a great place to start.

1 comment:

beautiful chaos said...

WOW! I love this - and I needed you insight tonight. Thanks!