Monday, August 3, 2009

30 by 30

OK, it is no secret that I am not in the least looking forward to turning thirty next month. Yes, next month. In 31 days to be exact. So in all my wallowing in self-pity, I came up with an idea. An idea to make this not so much about me. Because in my reflections and thoughts for self-improvement, I have come to realize that as much as I gripe about the self-centeredness of others, I'm a pretty self-involved person myself (yes, I did purposely put that many self-hyphen words in that sentence).

So back to my whininess over turning thirty... I already decided I am going to buy myself a fabulous German chocolate cake from Halfmann's. On my birthday. But up until then, I am going to do something for someone else. Something that helps, uplifts, encourages someone else. And something that brings the glory to God, not myself. Because it's not about me (another mantra to add to my list - It's not about me, it's not about me).

Yeah, I know it brings to mind that episode of Friends where Phoebe wants to do something unselfish and Joey says there is never any truly unselfish act, since you feel good even when you do for others... and she lets a bee sting her, not knowing that the bee will now die. I will admit, I'm not opposed to the "warm fuzzies" I will get. But I can't think of a better birthday present, can you?

So the plan is, starting tomorrow, I will seek out opportunities to DO for others. Actually, I already have a plan for day one. I will admit, this one is a little selfish, but definitely for the greater good.

I can count on one hand the number of people on this planet I do not get along with. One of them is a fellow teacher that I am spending the week in a training with. There is a long history of hurt feelings and grudges on both sides, and for all our sakes, it needs to stop. Tonight I wrote her a letter apologizing and asking for forgiveness and a truce. What is it the Bible says about showing kindness to our enemies? Heaping coals on their heads, right? But I don't want her to be an enemy. I'm not naive enough to expect friendship, but to set both our souls at peace and for the good of our departments, I have to try.

They are not all going to be that "big." I don't think I have that many wrongs to make right, or at least I hope not. :) I'm actually just planning to keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities the Lord puts in front of me. And any suggestions are welcomed. But every day, for the next 30 days, I will shine His light.

And when the big day comes, I won't be able to help but be content. Yep, selfish after all...

1 comment:

Diane said...

This is an awesome endeavor, and I'm proud of you...on so many levels.

But just let me say, as much as you dread that 'decade birthday'...just imagine how you're gonna feel when Tater turns 30...then you'll know how I'm gonna feel on Sept 3rd!