OK, I'm making it official. As of Saturday, Sept 13, 2008, I am in training for the Capitol 10K in Austin in March.
I know - Jenni? Running? A 10K?
Yes. You can blame it on Jenny W. She's been training for this race that she'll run in memory of her dad, and I've just admired her dedication so much - even had a couple of "I should do something too" moments. Then a few weeks ago, she issued this challenge. And darn it, but she's so stinkin' inspiring!
But truthfully, this seed was planted a little over a year ago when I watched my awesome Fri cross the finish line of a particularly grueling triathlon... If she can do that, I can do this.
I am off to a slow start - it took me a ridiculously long time to run/walk the 2-mile loop around my neighborhood on Saturday. And then it took 2 minutes less yesterday... and no, I'm not posting times - they're too embarrassing. But I know now how long I can run (not long) without having to walk, and I know how much work I need to do.
My goal for now is to be able to run the entire 2 miles by the end of October. I will run (or run/walk) at least 3 times a week, even if that means 2 days in a row because of our crazy schedules.
I will have a goal for the 10k - just finishing it is not going to be enough... but I'm not ready to set that goal yet.
Why am I running? Good question. Randy's reaction when I told him what I wanted to do was, "I've just never really seen you as much of a runner." And he's totally right - I'm not. I'm a slug. I need to get off my ever-growing rear end and do something. I need to take care of my heart and my body. I need to have more energy. It wouldn't hurt to burn off a few pounds of flab. And I need to achieve something. So this will be it.
The Capitol 10K. March 29th, 2009.
3 comments:
Woo HOO! I am so glad you're doing it. I really think we're all going to get stronger, in more ways than one, because of it!
And I bet, before too long, you'll really enjoy running. I do. For me it's like a little mental retreat from the day. I may only be thinking, "i'm going to pass out soon!" but, hey, at least i'm thinking that without a five year old interrupting my thoughts. : )
march 29th is going to be one cool day!
Good luck to you. Keep me posted on your progress. I am glad I am too old to say "gee, I should do something like that." Lucy
YAY!!! I am so glad you are doing this. You will love it! It such a great thing to do for yourself. I wish you all the best in training. You have plenty of time. You will be amazed how much easier it gets. Go FRI!!!
Post a Comment