Sunday, April 12, 2009

Capitol 10k

Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but I did actually go through with running the Capitol 10k in Austin March 29th. Well, "running" is not the word I should use, though I did do a little of that. I finished the race, and truthfully, that was all that really mattered to me.


I started semi-training back in September, when my uber-inspirational friend Jenny invited everybody to run the race (a very special race to her) alongside her. Then Samm got here, and I let that be an excuse to quit, though I didn't really need an excuse. See, I don't really like running. In fact, my mantra there at the beginning went something like, "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this..." And so, I quit and returned to my previous slug status.


Then Sara asked me if I was still doing it. And my answer was very vague, but she pressed and I caved. So I started semi-training again. But not really. Dedication to something I have little interest in just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But going to Austin meant hanging with my Fri for the first time in forever, so I was definitely in! I just decided that I would set an easy pace - do what I could and not worry about times or how many old ladies passed me.


Then race day came. It was stinking cold, but I was strangely jazzed. The race atmosphere was just incredible. There were a record 18,000 people registered for the run that day - there were just people everywhere. Amazingly enough, we ran smack into Jenny right before the race, so I wsa thrilled to get to see her. Plus Sara made us these awesome t-shirts that nobody gets but us (that's the beauty of it!). And even though I am SO not a runner, I really felt like it that day!


And then they blew the horn. And we all just stood there. There were about 2000 people in front of us, so it was a little like a cattle drive for a bit. But then we broke free and ran. And I ran longer than I thought before I told Sara I'd see her at the finish line. Then I did my thing - admittedly faster than I thought I would. I of course walked up all the nasty downtown Austin hills, but I did run more than I thought I would. There's just something about being surrounded by people who are pushing themselves that makes you not so quick to give up. I did walk plenty though - they have these race photographers around and every single one of them caught me walking, looking like I'm about to die. But I didn't die, and I finished 6.2 miles in an hour and 15 minutes. Not great, but not total crap.


But most importantly, it made me want to do way better than "not total crap" next time. I am going to continue running. I am going to find a way to like it. And I am going to be proud of myself next time I cross a finish line, because I will have a real goal that I will have honestly worked for. (note - I say all this in the future tense because I am just now recovering from my awful shin splints and the nasty foot-tendon pull that I caused by not training properly - Wednesday will be my first day back on the road).


So I'm not done. Thank you, Jenny and Sara, for giving me the push I so desperately needed. I may be calling when I need it again.

1 comment:

no_iffer said...

Im so glad you ran it! And I was so excited that we got to see each other before the race! Maybe we can do a few races together this summer in SA to keep us motivated? And your time was totally not crapy! I'm way impressed!